I must start off by apologizing. In my last post, I explained how I felt bad that I hadn’t posted a recipe in a whole TWO days!! I thought that was long, then this last week came along – no posts for a WHOLE week! Very sorry!! That was not the plan, but apparently plans change.
Life was crazy this last week, mostly in my head – lots of thoughts, pressures and a bit of freaking out. 🙂 I’m heading off to a BRAND NEW school in September (many nervous feelings when reminding myself of this crazy and true fact). I’m gonna be taking a Culinary Arts course there!! Ahhh! I mean, it’s exciting, but really, really, really terrifying at the same time. It’ll be neat to see how my kitchen skills will improve, yes, but, how will it all go? I don’t know. We’ll see, we will see.
Along with anticipating the new school year, I’ve been trying to train my very mischievous, nippy, big puppy, how to behave properly. He’s very smart…maybe a little too smart at times.
It’s a little difficult to write posts, create recipes, mentally prepare for school, and train my puppy all at the same time! Trying to remind myself to breathe.
Another thing that’s been on my mind this week (and for the last couple of years of my life) is HEALTH. Ups and downs and all arounds. The questions I’ve been asking myself these last couple of weeks are: “What is health?” And “When can a recipe be labeled as healthy?”
Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to the definition of healthy. Look it up online, and you’ll get hundreds of different opinions. It’s easy for me to get caught up in it all, especially when I’m trying to create healthier recipes, and eat well myself.
All that being said, I’m excited to share this new recipe with you all! Soft banana chocolate chip muffins, made better for you! Very, very edible, and even really, REALLY yummy!! :p Perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast, or a simple and delicious snack. I don’t think I have to say much more. 🙂 Really REALLY good!! I whipped them up yesterday morning, and couldn’t wait to share them with everyone. With all the scrambling and scurrying going on around here in the last week, I’m simply happy that I got a couple photos of these yums – wasn’t able to give you the step by step photos or a video this time around. Hopefully next time.
One more thing I’ll mention, before leaving you with this delish recipe. I’m heading off to camp this week, so I won’t be available for a couple days. Another week with few recipes – sorry about that! I’m excited to post more next week!!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup raw coconut palm sugar (or use brown sugar)
- ¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt (or regular salt)
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed overripe bananas
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus more for sprinkling on top)
- Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Heat the oven to 400 F.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the applesauce, coconut sugar and mashed bananas. Once those ingredients are mixed together well, add the eggs and vanilla and beat until just combined (do not over beat).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, along with the chocolate chips. Mix until just combined (remembering not to over mix).
- Evenly distribute the batter into the prepared 12 cup muffin pan.
- Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Place in the oven on the center rack, and bake for 15 minutes. Do not over bake. They should be slightly brown on the edges.
- Once done baking, take them out of the oven and top them with a bit of coconut oil or butter (to keep the tops soft).
- Let cool in pan for a couple minutes, then serve!