It’s zucchini season! I LOVE baking with zucchini! This is currently my favorite zucchini cake recipe. It’s soft, fluffy and…topped with toasted pecans! Win, win, and win! This recipe is another one of those that’s been sitting in my little recipe box for-ever. I got it from a wonderful Mrs. Phleuger, several years back, and it’s been a family favorite ever since. A huge “Thank You!” to her!
I SO wish I could call this recipe “healthy” but it really isn’t – sorry to say. I mean, the zucchini adds some nutrients – but (sadly) doesn’t classify this cake as a leafy green. 😀 No problem! When all else fails, add some greenery to your food photos, right? That’s exactly what I did. 😀 I’m not sure what my hope was for this particular photo (below). Perhaps something that looked a bit professional?? I had fun with it, though I certainly have a little room to grow.
And yes, I am using a sheet as a table cloth. I saw it, I grabbed, I ran with it – ran to the table, threw it on, then threw on the yummy stuff…and the plants. Voila!
Anywho, healthy or not, it’s YUM! 😀
Get ready for a delicious mix of coconut, cinnamon and toasted pecans – the flavors work together beautifully, and make it SUPER hard to resist!
A few scrumptious close ups…
I don’t think there’s much else to say – so I’ll give you the steps:
- For the cake:
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- ¾ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- For the icing:
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (optional, but highly recommended)
- Heat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan, then line it with parchment paper, and grease lightly again.
- In a medium sized bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Next, add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, as well as the grated zucchini and coconut.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter onto parchment lined baking pan.
- Place in oven. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, make the icing.
- Place all the icing ingredients into a small bowl, and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Once cake is done baking, take it out of the oven and let it cool.
- Once cooled, top with icing and sprinkle on the toasted pecans.
- Serve and enjoy!
Cut into 32 pieces if you'd like more of a square, rather than a whole piece of cake. This way, you can serve more people. 🙂
Like raisins? This cake is also delicious with the addition of ¾ cup raisins (added to the mixture at the same time as the coconut and zucchini).