Soup? In summer? I think, yes! And, if you really don’t like eating hot food in summer, you can just eat it cold, right? Hot or cold, I’d say this soup is worth it! Quickly becoming a family favorite, and jam-packed with flavor! Sweet potato + red pepper + beef + basil + cheese + carrots = DELISH!
The simple steps…
And there you have it! That’s it! Put together in 45 minutes, and ready to serve!
When is a recipe eligible to be labeled as AWESOME or THE BEST? I honestly don’t know, but I do know that this soup is REALLY really REALLY good!!! It’s fresh, flavorful, colorful and full of good-for-you ingredients! A delicious summer soup that doesn’t take a lot of time to cook, and even less time to devour. 😀
Leftovers? Super!! Take some to work the next day!
- Sweet potatoes
- Red peppers
- Sour cream
And more photos!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 6 tbsp butter
- 6 cups beef broth (or 6 cups hot water mixed with 6 tsp Better Than Bouillon Beef Base)
- 6 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (about 1 large sweet potato)
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Cook ground beef in a large pot, drain and set aside in a separate bowl.
- In the same pot, add 2 tbsp butter, chopped onions, shredded carrots, diced red bell peppers, dried basil and celery salt. Saute until tender.
- Once tender, add the cooked ground beef, beef broth and chopped sweet potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 4 tbsp of butter. Once melted, add the flour and stir continually, until mixture is bubbling. Take off heat.
- Add flour mixture to the pot of soup, stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Add the cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Stir together well, till cheese melts.
- Turn off the heat and add the sour cream to the soup, stirring well until combined.
- Serve and enjoy!